Need for Platform APIs
Does one size fit all? In a diverse eCommerce spectrum where every industry has different nuances and every vertical within the industry has specific needs, a single system or platform cannot cater to all. However this multitude of platforms and exchange of information among them ends up making the overall process complex.
Unbxd PIM is a platform that has been built to cater to all types of industry and diverse use-cases related to product catalogs. The system has the capability to crunch the catalog content, understand product content and product attributes and know what is missing and is violated based on predefined rules.
Mostly, a single system is not built to cater to all the needs like enriching the content, extracting the content, fulfilling required mandates for syncing with multiple sources and destinations. But in order to ease this process and enable eCommerce players to integrate seamlessly, we have built Unbxd PIM Platform APIs.
What’s the challenge?
Let’s look into some of the real-life scenarios where the business needs to send impromptu changes to the catalog system. Or there is a need to update or sync the content post which content curation and syndication will have to happen in the business systems in production. These 3rd party systems or services talk in different languages (syntax) and it is hard to crack them and make them talk to each other smoothly and with zero errors.
Similarly, imagine a scenario where a business needs to update or notify about the changes in the product catalog to multiple stakeholders or 3rd party services where product information is stored for various purposes. This to-fro of the information can become quite complex if not maneuvered properly.
This is where Unbxd PIM APIs can come handy and useful. They make this integration and journey smooth and hassle free for developers, category managers and content team all alike.
What do Unbxd PIM APIs solve for?
Unbxd PIM APIs are going to enable the businesses to cater to all such business needs (as discussed above) on our platform.
- From accepting catalog content from different systems using pre-authorised API token to directly synchronising real-time inventory, pricing, or any other catalog content to the Unbxd PIM system. Once the file is received using the API key through Import APIs, Unbxd PIM can import and run pre-configured Workflows to ingest and process the data. (Read more on Automating manual workflows using Unbxd PIM)
- To pull data on regular intervals or in a manual way from the 3rd party systems and automate the ingestion process automatically. Using this method we can enable the PIM Users to request for data sync or update on a need basis or basis predefined agreements with the systems.
- To send data to different end systems in desired formats. This enables the businesses to curate and define which catalog content to be sent to which system for different purposes. There are these use cases where the data needs to be synced to ERP systems or Inventory management systems on a periodic basis.
- Let’s take another example where the catalog content needs to be sent to a 3rd party App for catalog extraction, curation, enrichment, translation to multiple languages, or a simple update. The business user has the ability to define what goes out of the system and how. So there is absolute ease with respect to management of permission which prevents sensitive content from going out of the systems. Using this mechanism, businesses can expand and take the help of multiple 3rd party Apps and plugins which possess the expertise of catering to specific business needs and are crucial for enhancing the overall catalog quality.
- To pull data from external systems as per needs using a pre-configured catalog format via adapters. The business can also provide access to the external companies to pull the catalog content in a pre-defined format as per the guidelines of the companies with which it is integrating for making the catalog content more accurate and useful.
How does Unbxd PIM APIs work
With APIs, the integration can happen between Unbxd PIM and an eCommerce platform like BigCommerce or any 3rd party systems for specific business needs. A successful integration can mean seamless connectivity and bidirectional product information transfer between the PIM system and these platform powered websites or eCommerce stores.
Using the API keys wrt each Private or Public App, the PIM business user can define the subset or format of the catalog which needs to be made accessible to the external system. The App can have a configuration to import or export or both as per the use case. The same app can also act as a purely private app which can cater to the business needs of its own and where the business can use PIM as a source of truth and for catalog content transformation so that it’s easier for these integrated apps to get the data in predefined format post validation checks. Thus keeping all the rules and checks managed in one place.
Also, the business user can use Unbxd PIM Workflows to automate the process of syncing between all these Apps. The workflows can be configured based on time or events. And using the Channel App Adapters the catalog definition can be completely customized and formatted into multiple formats as per business requirements.
Let’s deep dive into typical use-cases where PIM is the single source of truth and communicate with multiple systems that are needed for running an eCommerce store end-to-end. The use cases can be infinite, for example:
- Ability to integrate with native or legacy systems that can’t be replaced with the new systems and technology – to easily give it a facelift with a modern cloud-based SaaS architecture with enhanced capabilities
- For complex catalog formats that are not supported yet by Unbxd PIM, it can be formatted outside PIM and then imported into Unbxd PIM using Import Channel APIs
- Ability to extract keywords and tags from Images related to each product
- A system that can translate the catalog content to different languages and get it ingested into PIM using simple Import trigger APIs. , All it has to do is pass the new catalog feed as XLS, JSON, XML (also Zipped) along with its API key. This is then reviewed by the designated user in the system and finally synced to the end-user site
- A spell checker module that can pull catalog content, validate and then sync it back to the system.
- Custom-built AI/ML models to extract and enrich catalog content specifically modeled for different Categories and verticals.
- Gauge popularity or ranking of the catalog content based on reviews and other analytical data captured in different systems to manage the ranking of the products.
- Inspect the content using custom tools and widgets for forecasting trends
Business Impact produced by Unbxd PIM APIs
Unbxd PIM will act as a source of truth for all integration purposes with Unbxd Search. The business can easily integrate their existing system and also enable them to manage the integrations of the business with 3rd party systems that are critical for scaling up.
We already have integration with key marketplaces and ERP systems such as BigCommerce, Brightpearl, Amazon (Coming soon) and several other custom-built integration with the native ERP systems of the customers using Unbxd PIM APIs.
As we look into the real-world use cases for different businesses and verticals. So one system cannot cater to all. What we are building is a platform that can manage the source of truth for all catalog related purposes with advanced roles and user access control and a defined maker checker model in place. Thus enabling businesses to expand, integrate, and build custom solutions for varying needs and yet maintaining a coherent and a streamlined process
For detailed API documentation read here: https://help.pim.unbxd.com/api-documentation/